In 1830 some traders
and craftsmen of Calcutta organised themselves to form the
Calcutta Trades Association which was a new kind of commercial
organization, the first of its kind, not only in the country,
but also in the far East. The records of the Association show
that the idea of business assembly was first mooted at a meeting
held on the 5th July, 1830 attended by about 200 traders of
Calcutta and Calcutta Traders Association was born under the
aegis of Mr Samuel Smith who assumed the post of the president.
The meeting was convened at the suggestion of Hon'ble Sir
Charles Edward Grey, the then Chief Justice of Bengal who
was the Commissioner of the Insolvent Court advised. The Calcutta
Trade Association was born thereafter, from realization of
a handful of businessmen with certain interests and objectives
in common which could be furthered by common action.
On the 29th of December 1834, the Association was granted
recognition as the first public body with powers to address
the Government direct and on the 18th of January, 1883 it
acquired the status of a corporate Body immediately following
the incorporation of the Indian Companies Act, 1882. The most
distinguishing operational aspects of the Calcutta Trades
Association and its descendent, the Calcutta Chamber of Commerce,
was its contribution for improving Calcutta's civic amenities.
The Association had a great contribution towards drafting
of the original Calcutta Municipal Bill. It also agitated
effectively for improvement of the conservancy service in
Calcutta. It was also during this post-war period that the
Association took active interest in the Bengal Town Planning
Bill of 1920, the Merchandise Marks Act and the Bengal Children
social ills and abuses.
In the subsequent period, with rapid industrialization of
the country, the Association noting the changing context of
the Indian economy geared up its activities vigorously with
greater dynamism and urged with patriotic adventure the pursuit
of a new way of life based on social justice and stability.
The Calcutta Trades Association which was established in
1890, thus assumed the name “The Calcutta Chamber of
Commerce" in 1977. It may be recalled with real gratification
that this august body had established the tradition over a
century and a half to serve the country and the people in
material progress and help development of the metropolitan
City of Calcutta.
The Calcutta Chamber of Commerce has the following
affiliations and representations:
• FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce
• ASSOCHAM (The Associated Chamber of Commerce and Industry)
• AIOE (All India organisation of Employers)
• CII-Eastern Region (Confederation Of Indian Industries)